Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Careful of your audience

I went to visit my mom at work for lunch today. In her break room, the news was reporting on the horrible Amber Alert-turned-tragedy that took place in CT last night.

As a resident of CT, may I first say that it makes me increasingly uncomfortable that these terrible events continue to occur, and seem to be happening on a much more quick pace.

The fact that children are involved is quite possibly the most tragic of facts.

But here's the thing.

"It's so sad that these people are so sick. They should just stay on their meds because they OBVIOUSLY work so well.

I mean, a healthy person would just never do this. Once in a while there's an OJ (Simpson), but they don't always get away with it. These people are just so sad."

That was the cruel and insensitive and horrible rant made by one of mom's coworkers.

First, can I just point out mom works in the Medical Field, so nobody employed therein is lacking in education.

But how fucking ignorant can a person get?

I'll try, if I may, to equate the stupidity of this woman's statements, with a random concept that popped into my head.

I'll use dieting.

"It's so sad that fat people are so fat. They should just stay on their diets because they work SO WELL.

I mean, a thin person would NEVER go into a McDonalds and order a super-sized meal, eat the whole thing and not gain an ounce. Fat people are just so gross."

For the record: I often eat at fast food restaurants, and when I do, I ALWAYS order a Large meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment